Help For Writers

Sunday 14 March 2010

THE TWELVE ROLES OF ME

1. DAUGHTER.- That's something I achieved just by being born.
It's not easy to be a daughter because you are supposed to understand your mother just because you are a woman and that does not mean a thing. Women share the monthly cycle of the blood, only. And even that is different, some suffer, some don't, some are regular, some aren't (like verbs).
The point is I am very different from my mother. To start with I am a firstborn and she is the youngest of a long thread of children. I am tough and she isn't, I am spoiled and so is she, hehehe.
Ok, I may not be that different, I know, we are similar, but we are not clones, ok?
Being a daughter is a difficult job. When one is young and obedient, everything is or can be charming. Mother is the role model and there is no one to compete about anything. I only hated the fact that I love my hair long and my mother loves short hair, so while I was under her orders I was subject to having my beautiful and luscious hair constantly chopped. You would think it was out of laziness from her part, but no, she also has her hair short (maybe for the same reason, who knows?) Anything else was just fine. No, she had me eating disgusting things such as liver and fish (she always prepared it the same horrible way) and she wouldn't let me stand up from the table until I had finished. Of course I would stay there until about 19.00. I am perfectly stubborn and I guess she is too.
Being a daughter is about being subject to your mother's ideas of what is good and bad while growing up properly, her ideas of what being feminine implies, her ideas of what happiness should be for you. Living up to her expectatives. And then failing unavoidably because yours are not hers, or because hers are hers and not yours. Anyway, there's no escape.
But being a daughter is also being brave, and with time it also brings understanding and tolerance because no, you are not your mother, but you learn to bear it. With time, many daughters become mothers and then they understand, some others don't, but they also understand.
Being a daughter entails knowing many secrets that are not necessarily spoken, things men will never be able to access to.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
Palabras que fluyen, huyen y en algún lado tienen que acabar.