Help For Writers

Monday 25 January 2010

RED OR WHITE

He didn't bring a bottle of wine. He brought two. When I opened the door, there he was, showing me two half a litre bottles of wine, one red and one white. He simply told me, "I wasn't sure which one you would prefer." I was moved. He didn't have to bring anything, and he had brought not only one, but two bottles of wine. I decided to open the Cabernet Sauvignon. It was good. But improved by his company. When he was kind he could be really agreeable.
That day I was devastated. I had found out that a work mate, with whom I've had an affaire, to call it something, was leaving the place where we both worked. I had sort of developed a crush on him and was crying when he phoned me with any pretext --to ask me if I wanted to work at his friend's Elementary School. I had already told him I was not interested in elementary schools and that I had other plans. He noticed my voice and he asked in a rather worried one what was wrong. I could not tell him the truth so openly, so I told him I had just lost someone. He asked me whether my daughter was ok (why do people always assume that when something's wrong with me it is because of my daughter?). I told him nothing was wrong with her. He decided he should be with me to comfort me. I was rather taken aback, but I accepted.
Of course I didn't stay with my pjs on and the ruined face after having cried. Besides, I had no more reason to be sad. I was kind of crazy in those days. I really didn't know what or who I wanted. I got all excited and had my clothes changed, dabbed on a little make up and had a brush at my hair, I didn't want to seem over made, but neither too undone.
Apparently it worked. In spite of me tranquility he inisted, "You still seem a bit stressed, want me to relax you?" Once again we ended up in my bedroom. This time he didn't stay all night, but we enjoyed our moment.
Once he said, "We over forties are kind of cynical, aren't we?"
"I don't know," I answered, "I've never been with anyone my age."
This relationship is hardly a relationship, we only meet to chat, argue about literature, language, life, former spouses and bringing daughters, then we have wild sex and that's it. We never know when we will meet each other again. I never know if coffee, wine or Gatorade will be involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
Palabras que fluyen, huyen y en algún lado tienen que acabar.